Regional Group Continental Europe Analyst
About the Regional Group Continental Europe and SAFA for RG CE
The Regional Group Continental Europe (RG CE) is the permanent structure within ENTSO-E dedicated to the regional activities of the ENTSO-E Members in the Synchronous Area Continental Europe. There are currently 29 TSO members and ongoing extension projects may increase this number.
The Synchronous Area Framework Agreement (SAFA) for RG CE entered into force in April 2019 and constitutes the operational framework (principles, methodologies and legal contract) for the TSOs of Continental Europe. In particular, SAFA sets common rules for all Parties, regardless of their countries’ membership to the European Union. Beside the main body of the agreement, SAFA contains six Policies dedicated to the topics: Load-Frequency Control and Reserves, Scheduling, Accounting and Settlement, Coordinated Operational Planning, Emergency and Restoration, Data Exchange.
To support the implementation of SAFA, the RG CE identifies a SAFA Convenor, a member responsible for the SAFA implementation, and this new position is created inside the Secretariat to support him.
The SAFA Convenor is responsible for coordinating:
- the consultation of the (6) SAFA Advisory teams, dedicated each to a Policy, in case of amendment or question related to their domain of expertise,
- the permanent sub-group of RG CE in charge of the processes for monitoring the SAFA implementation and managing the exemptions and derogations to SAFA, any project group created for specific SAFA implementation tasks.
General position description
The successful candidate will work full-time at the ENTSO-E offices in Brussels, reporting directly to the Regional Coordination Manager in Operations section. He/she will also cooperate and work collaboratively with Secretariat staff across all departments in the Secretariat's program management structure.
The role is a key person for the Operations Section of ENTSO-E providing expertise and leadership internally and externally including representations in meetings, developing processes and methodologies, guidelines, position papers, and supporting the SAFA Convenor.
Regular travel will be required, mostly within Continental Europe.
Responsibilities and tasks
- Act as a Project Manager on behalf of the SAFA Convenor; tracking and leading or delegating the tasks to the appropriate teams / groups.
- Provide technical advisory and administrative support to the SAFA Convenor and the respective groups / teams to enable the implementation of SAFA and ensure the timely fulfilment of the deliverables.
- Coordinate with the Regional Coordination Manager, RG CE Convenor and SAFA Convenor how to report to the RG CE (plenary meetings are scheduled 5 times a year), and develop the corresponding processes.
- Support other key projects of the RG CE, in agreement with the Regional Coordination Manager and RG CE Convenor,
- Working closely with the supporting sections in Secretariat such as Legal, Finance, HR and Strategy & Communications, supporting effective collaboration and where relevant, identifying possible efficiency improvements.
- Interactions with all Committees and LRG, Board, Assembly, with TSO members, with ACER, with the European Commission, at times with Members of the European Parliament, and with other stakeholders.
- Support wider initiatives aimed at improving Association and Secretariat for the benefit of Member TSOs and Staff.
- University degree with expert knowledge of power systems, with relevant experience post qualification (3 to 5 years’ experience) in the electricity sector, preferably in TSO system operations.
- Good skills in communication, listening, negotiating and influencing. While the technical background is necessary, the willingness to understand the parties’ interests/motivations is important to facilitate consensus and building relationships with large number of stakeholders.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills in English.
- Experience in project management, managing deadlines and assessing priorities; preferably experience in a matrix management environment.
- Proficiency in working with MS Office (Excel and MS Project).
The Secretariat is looking either for a secondment from a Member TSO (the Secretariat HR Section can give advice to TSOs on managing financial and tax effects), or external qualified applicants not working for ENTSO-E Members.
Please submit your complete application consisting of a cover letter and curriculum vitae before 10th February 2020.